DIABETIC EYE EXAM
In New York City
If you are one of the 30 million people diagnosed with Diabetes Mellitus in the country, then you need a dilated exam yearly. Diabetes can affect your eyes in many different ways depending on which part of the eye is affected. Diabetes can affect the lens, by causing fluctuation
DIABETIC EYE EXAMS IN NYC
DIABETIC EYE EXAM FAQS
What impact does diabetes have on your eyes?
Any of these can cause severe vision loss and blindness if not detected and treated:
- Diabetic Retinopathy – This is a disease that affects blood vessels in the retina, the back layer or film of the eye. These blood vessels can leak and cause new blood vessel growth, and lead to blood in the vitreous cavity.
- Diabetic Macular Edema (DME) – This is a possible result of diabetic retinopathy. DME causes swelling in that part of the retina called the macula.
- Cataracts – Adults with diabetes are three to five more likely to develop cataracts (a clouding of the lens)A clouding of the eye’s lens. Adults with diabetes are two to five times more likely to develop cataracts. Cataracts also tend to develop at an earlier age in people with diabetes.
- Glaucoma – Glacuoma is a group of diseases that damage the optic nerve, which connects the eye to the brain. Some types of glaucoma are associated with high pressure inside the eye. Adult diabetes almost doubles the risk of glaucoma.
- Lens – Diabetes mellitus can affect lens clarity, as well as refractive index and accommodation of the lens. As the glucose level increases in the blood, it does so in the fluid in front of the lens. This can result in an influx of water, which results in a swelling of the lens fibers. Patients with uncontrolled diabetes can show large swings in their vision because of their glucose levels. In fact, quick changes that cause near sightedness can indicate undiagnosed or poorly controlled diabetes.
- Retinal Detachment- uncontrolled diabetes can lead to tractional retinal detachment which can permanently harm your vision if there is no intervention in a timely manner.
What can be done?
Prevention and yearly checkups are the most important way you can prevent diabetic eye disease from occurring.
WHY CHOOSE MANHATTAN EYE?
Eye Exams with Dr. Rapoport in NYC
Yearly exams are necessary when you have Diabetes, and with cutting edge imaging and Dr. Rapoport’s meticulous exam, Dr. Rapoport will detect and prevent problems early.
Dr. Rapoport was fantastic - she explained all my options in detail and was very diligent in giving me instructions pre/post operations - even when I asked twice/three times. She's always available to talk and super empathetic. I could not recommend a better eye surgeon!”
I feel confident in her abilities - and it is my eyesight afterall!”