In New York City
A 15 minute office procedure can leave you looking and feeling rejuvenated! For people looking for a well-rested, youthful look, Botox is the go to in order to minimize lines and wrinkles.
"My skin looks fresh without makeup. I look like a more refreshed version of myself."
MJ / New York
For people looking for a well-rested, youthful look, Botox is the go to in order to minimize lines and wrinkles. Neurotoxins are injected into the face to right against gravity and prevent the skin from sagging.
What Is It?
Botox is a type of neurotoxin that attaches to the receptor of a muscle’s nerve and blocks the release of neurotransmitters from the nerves that signal the muscles to contract. This ultimately results in fewer lines and wrinkles. The muscle softens and does not contract. Botox slows down the process that makes the creases that form around the muscles in the face before they are permanent. It may take several treatments before the muscles fully relax and the lines fade.
Why Choose an Eye Doctor for Botox?
Ophthalmologists were some of the first doctors to discover the benefits of Botox, over 40 years ago, before it became popular for cosmetic reasons. It was initially used in cases of strabismus (crossed eyes) in children. It was then expanded to use for patients with blepharospasm (spasming of the muscles around the eyes) and hemifacial spasm (spasm of an entire half the face). All throughout ophthalmology training, ophthalmologists become experts in Botox injection for a variety of conditions, including cosmetic. Since ophthalmologists work with the delicate skin around the eyes on a day to day basis, we can administer cosmetic injectable like Botox with exceptional precision.
Where On the Face?
Botox is used in several areas of the face:
- The “11” lines, created by the corrugator and procerus muscles. These cause the vertical 11 lines between the eyebrows
- The horizontal lines in the forehead, called the “frontalis” are the lines that bother most people and are very easily corrected. The 11 lines, the corrugator and procerus muscles, usually intertwine with the frontalis and both work together
- The “crows feet” or “smile lines” are the lines caused by the orbicularis muscle to the side of the eye when we smile. This can be hereditary and the skin here is quite delicate; it is good idea to have this area performed by an ophthalmic expert.
- The eyebrows- a small amount is used below the eyebrows to raise them and give a more awake look. This is performed in a very subtle manner so as to n
- Neck: the platysmus muscle causes the wide bands that occur when you say the word “EEE” with your mouth open wide. Injection in this muscle reduces neck lines.
- Downturned mouth: this is caused by the DAO or depressor angular oculus below the mouth and gives the impression of a frown or an unhappy impression. Injection in this muscle relaxes it and brings the corners of the mouth back to its natural upturned expression.
- Jaw muscles- injection into the jaw mules serve two purposes- functional and cosmetic. Functional injection into these muscles greatly improve the symptoms of TMJ, or temperomandibular jaw syndrome, which can give the sensation of a tense jaw. Cosmetically, injecting into the jaw muscles slims the face by decreasing the bulk of the jaw muscles.
- Chin- The goal of treatment in the chin is to reduce dimpling.
Botox also has an added bonus of improving the appearance of you skin by giving it a healthy shiny glow.
What to Expect from Botox
The effects of Botox begin to be seen in about 2-3 days, and are at maximum effect at about 2-3 weeks. The effects wear off in about 3-4 months. This varies by individual patient. There is no downtime, and you may resume all activities immediately after (with a limit on blood thinners and extreme exercise).
Pregnant patients are not candidates for Botox.
WHY CHOOSE MANHATTAN EYE?
Botox with Dr. Rapoport in NYC
With a conservative approach and an eye for beauty herself, Dr. Rapoport provides the most natural results.
With years of focused medical and surgical training, Dr. Rapoport possesses a unique knowledge of the fragile anatomy of the muscles around the eyes. If you are choosing your Botox cosmetic injector, remember that an ophthalmologist (and a physician)’s extensive knowledge of facial anatomy may maximize your outcome.
Dr. Rapoport was fantastic - she explained all my options in detail and was very diligent in giving me instructions pre/post operations - even when I asked twice/three times. She's always available to talk and super empathetic. I could not recommend a better eye surgeon!”
I feel confident in her abilities - and it is my eyesight afterall!”